Thursday, September 6, 2007

Warcraft and my thoughts

Okay, I am an avid player of World of Warcraft. This means that instead of doing something constructive with my time, I choose to play with digital friends, play with digital money, get digital things to drop from digital dragons in a digital world. You get the point. Well I don't! While outsiders may be aprehensive about World of Warcraft saying it is a horrible, terrible addiction; I have opposing views.

Lets admit, we are not all going out and telling our co-workers that we play World of Warcraft. It is not because we don't want them to play. It is merely because we don't want them intruding in on our special time in our pixelated world. We play World of Warcraft to escape our everyday lives, with all our everyday shit. Hell, who wants to come home and think about flipping burgers the next day. Hell I don't! I'll tell ya one thing though... if it involves pwning noobs, or doing leet instances I am all for it. Not everyday you get to waste a mana bar nuking a boss with 1.2mil health spitting fire on you while you are sitting in your comfy computer chair sippin your lemonade.

But seriously, WOW is a MMORPG. You actually meet real people in this game. That priest next to you that is getting his ass whopped by Maiden because he generated too much heal aggro is an actual person. Yeah, thats right... other people play this game. Also, I have developed many personal relationships in the game. So if you say that playing WOW is secluding yourself, you are sadly mistaken. I raid at least twice a week with nine other friends. We group up and conquer Karazhan. It takes great communication and leadership to clear that place. While some hardcore players may disagree, we find it to be quite a fun challenge as a casual raiding team. Oh wait, did I just mention leadership skills. Like OMG such as... I lead Karazhan which means that I develop most of the strategies that take place. Gosh I actually have to think while playing this game. I am not just some mindless person behind a screen!? The answer is no, I am a living breathing person who is just trying to lead my team to success and glory.

Reconsider your thoughts about WOW. Also acknowledge that there are different levels of "addicts". While one person may play a couple times a week, some will use it as a scapegoat to hide their problems. But in all, the best way to look at this game is as a hobby. I would much rather play with other friends than watch a bad re-run of Will and Grace.

No comments: